Saturday, July 17, 2010

Here We Go and Soul & Bones Review!


I have often wondered how people keep and maintain a blog--I have never felt that I had much to share that other people would actually want to read. Recently however, I have started reading food blogs, and realized that whether people read what I write or not, I wanted to write about food. SO HERE WE GO. Basically this blog is a way for me to talk about food that I am cooking, eating, or thinking about. As a general rule, I like all things food, so there really is unlimited blog potential. For my first blog post, I figured I would review a restaurant that my wife and I (along with my sis and her boyfriend) tried recently in Ogden, UT--Soul & Bones.

Soul & Bones is located at 319 East 24th Street in Ogden. It is located right next door to a gentleman's club, and didn't appear to be much from the outside. There was a chalkboard menu on the sidewalk announcing the specials, which were a fried oyster po' boy and blackened flounder. The chalkboard also proudly announced that it had no affiliation with the club next door, and any food served at the club was not from Soul & Bones. Walking into Soul & Bones, it looked like something off of Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. There is a long counter with stools, and about 8 tables. Jazz was coming through the speakers, and the atmosphere was really low key and relaxed. FYI--Soul & Bones does not serve alcohol.

Soul & Bones offers a great mix of cajun/creole food and BBQ. Appetizers include fried dill pickles, fried cheese curds, crawfish beignets, and crab cakes. Cajun entrees included crawfish etoufee, gumbo, jambalaya, creole and a few po' boy sandwiches. The BBQ portion of the menu includes the standard fare--pulled pork, ribs, brisket and chicken. Everything on the menu is reasonable--a full rack of ribs is $20, the jambalaya is $15, and almost everything else is $10 and under.

I had the crawfish etoufee; my wife had a fried shrimp po' boy; My sis tried the gumbo (which was made with blackened catfish) and her boyfriend had the three meat plate--ribs, brisket, and pulled pork. We also started with crawfish beignets and some hush puppies. Everything was delicious and everyone seemed to enjoy their meal.

Our only complaint was that it took awhile to get our meal. We were headed to a movie, and had given ourselves just over an hour for dinner. We didn't get our food until about ten minutes before the movie was supposed to start, so we quickly ate and rushed off to the movie (but still missed the previews). Soul and Bones appears to literally be a Mom and Pop shop--mom was the server and pop was the cook. We all decided we would return (the food was that good) but we would not come on a night when we had somewhere else to be. Overall, I would recommend Soul & Bones to anyone that likes BBQ, Cajun food, or just supporting local restaurants--but not to someone in a hurry.

We were in such a hurry that we had no time to snap any pictures, but I will post some after our next visit. www.soulandbones.com (just a homepage--no menu).


No comments:

Post a Comment